Mark Haviland | Campus Involvement
I worked at Walt Disney World from 1984 to 1990. I started in the character department then moved into the Entertainment/Live Shows department. From 1990 to 1995 I was a co-founder for the Robot Works, a small entertainment company that made radio controlled robotic characters, which were sold to small theme parks throughout the world. My function as Operations Manager was to operate and train others on the robot functions. I manage the Student Theatre Arts Complex (STAC), a preproduction facility on south campus for performance groups to rehearse their shows and build their sets. I have a staff of 4 student employees who work as a resource for groups providing everything they need to put on their shows.
What makes coming to work worthwhile is working with students on their productions by helping them to solve logistical problems and creating successful shows!
- Favorite Food: Anything with chichen in it, Picata, Marsala, stir fry, etc.
- Favorite Movie: To Have and Have Not
- Hometown: Birmingham, MI
- Favorite Thing about University of Michigan/CCI: The people and the way students challenge us
- I have been to all 50 states, but I don’t remember much about North Dakota!
- I climbed Mt. Whitier in the Grand Teton range. From the top, you can see both Idaho and Wyoming.
- I toured with SAK Theater performing street theatre at Renassaince Fairs in Texas, Kansas, Florida and Michigan